Life without alcohol (and yes it is still fun!)

alcohol free life flat lay

Spoiler Alert: You don’t need to drink alcohol to have fun.

I haven’t drank alcohol in 3 years now. Well, I’ve had one cocktail and on two occasions drank half a glass of prosecco. But apart from that, I’ve abstained from alcohol. I have my reasons. In fact, I have several reasons for why I don’t drink. My reasons include both health and personal choices. Life without alcohol is pretty fab. But the thing that reaaaally grates on me is how much people judge you for not drinking alcohol. Here goes a little list of things that happened when I stopped drinking alcohol. The good and the bad.

1. FRIENDS CALLED ME BORING
    Okay so, when I first gave the alcohol-free lifestyle a go, I was still in university. My friends at uni couldn’t quite grasp that I didn’t want to drink anymore. Apparently not wanting to spend every Friday and Saturday night getting blind-drunk made me boring. But honestly, I can probably list 7514 other ways I’d prefer to spend my evening than getting wasted. It doesn’t make me boring. I just find the fun in other things.
  2. HANGOVER-FREE LIFE
    The best part about not drinking alcohol is not waking up with a hangover. Every morning after a night out with friends, I wake up feeling fresh as a daisy whilst they’re all nursing a hangover. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t do a smug little victory dance in my head. Hey, I’m allowed to gloat every once in a while! It feels great to wake up feeling refreshed. I really don’t miss the post-night out days of waking up stinking of last night’s £1 shots and jagerbombs, shakily reaching for paracetamol and water and not knowing if food would be kill or cure.
  3. YOU CAN STILL DANCE WITHOUT ALCOHOL
    This may come as a shock to some people, but not drinking alcohol doesn’t mean not having fun. Seriously. The fact that people automatically assume that you can’t have fun because you don’t drink infuriates me more than anything. Like mate, I can get up on that dance floor and have a little boogie just as much as the girl spilling her glass of Prosseco everywhere. If a song comes on that I like you can bet that I’ll be up there dancing. Please don’t assume that being sober means I don’t understand what fun is.
  4. NIGHTS OUT ARE CHEAPER
    Instead of spending £10 every time I want a cocktail, I now spend £0 for tap water or about £2 for a soft drink. So really, my nights out are ridiculously cheap. Which means I can spend that money on other things like clothes, travel or whatever the hell I want to spend it on. Last year I spent £38 on a solo-trip to Belgium whereas 18-year old me would have spent more than on one night out drinking. Whilst nights out might be cheaper it does mean having to justify my drink choices to complete strangers. Even the bartenders give me weird looks or stab fun at me when I ask for a tap water. Like woah okay, this girl just wants to stay hydrated.
  5. PEOPLE JUDGE YOU
    Okay, this point has probably being concurrent throughout my last 4 points. But it’s true. When you stop drinking alcohol, people start judging you. I’ve had total strangers mock me to even my own family making out as though I’m satanic spawn because I’m sober. For the first couple of years of being alcohol-free, I avoided going out because it really impacted my anxiety. I was terrified of being judged. Now, however, I don’t care and I’m pretty damn proud of myself for battling the anxiety surrounding it. I’ve learnt to brush off the negative comments surrounding my personal choices. Instead I’m focusing on my own little bubble of happiness!

People can say what they want about me for not drinking but I’ve had my fair share of alcohol-fuelled nights out. I’ve created wild and somewhat reckless drunken memories. And I’ve had my years of drinking myself into oblivion. Now, I’m over the alcohol culture and I’m happy knowing that I don’t need to drink to enjoy myself.

12 Comments

1. Ioanna
    16th January 2017 / 7:57 am

Totally agree with every single point above! Especially the judging part. Every time I go out with my friends and we order drinks I get the eye-rolling look as soon as I order my soft drink of choice.

• Tasmin
      Author
      22nd January 2017 / 9:15 pm

Aw it’s so encouraging to know others understand how it feels! I hope you eye-roll back twice as hard! We don’t need alcohol to have fun and that should be appreciated. Here’s to tasty soft drinks over expensive alcoholic ones!xx

2. 16th January 2017 / 12:14 pm

Love this! I rarely drink and if I do it’s one glass. I’ve had times where I’ve felt really awkward meeting new people and just ordering a water. There have been people ordering rounds who get a bit funny about it -I don’t see why, I’m making their round cheaper!

Jenn
     Photo-Jenn-ic

x

• Tasmin
      Author
      22nd January 2017 / 9:14 pm

I understand completely! It can be tricky explaining to new people that you don’t drink because some people just don’t get it. Haha yes, they should be happy your asking for water and not a glass of the bar’s most expensive champagne xx

3. 19th January 2017 / 12:58 pm

I rarely drink anymore and I don’t miss it at all. I occasionally have one or two and usually at Christmas as I’m not tea-total I just don’t think about it!
    I love not waking up wondering what I did last night, why my mouth tastes of vomit and looking at my bank balance in horror!! xx

• Tasmin
      Author
      22nd January 2017 / 9:13 pm

Ahh I love hearing from others who don’t really drink! It’s funny how after a while getting drunk just loses it appeal, isn’t it?! Haha oh gosh, I’m so glad those days are long behind me too!xx

4. Terri Berry
    21st January 2017 / 11:39 am

I applaud you! I’ve experienced the same treatment, but after your friend’s are that you are seeious, they should respect you and even speak up for you if someone offers you a drink ” just get her a Coke.” If they don’t respect you after time and continue to judge you, those are really not your friends! Sometimes a lifestyle change requires a new circle of friend’s!

• Tasmin
      Author
      22nd January 2017 / 9:12 pm

It can be difficult but you have to try brush off those negative comments! I find myself eye-rolling waaaay more than I’d like to be. Funnily enough, I switched up some of my friendships and focused on those who truly care and it’s been so positive. Now I’m surrounding myself with those who lift me up rather than try to tear me down for little differences :)xx

5. 15th February 2017 / 9:44 am

I gave up alcohol exactly one year ago and it has been one of the best things I have done to myself ! I can still have fun, my skin doesn’t look dehydrated and I saved up so much more money! YAY! Also, I much rather spend lovely mornings with magazine and coffee, then with horrible hangovers!

6. 18th March 2017 / 6:46 pm

I totally agree with you! I like the occasional cocktail but there can also be months I don’t drink at all. Mocktails are just as great and if I drink a glass of wine it really is a rare occasion. I wasn’t allowed to drink alcohol for years because of an illness and back then friends stopped inviting me to things because of that… So stupid. But it thought me that alochol doesn’ mean to get drunk and you don’t need on ounce of alcohol to have fun!

XX

7. Nicole
    18th March 2017 / 7:34 pm

I can totally relate to this post! I don’t drink and although I don’t go out much I can definitely still have fun! The fact it’s cheaper is just amazing, means I have more money to spend on things that last xx