Hands up if there’s a 99.999% chance you’ll be spending Valentine’s alone, this year? That’s me, every year. Even the times when I’ve had a boyfriend during Valentine’s day. Not one to break tradition, this year I’ll more than likely be doing the same. Honestly, I’d love to be whisked off my feet on a romantic weekend break. Every girl wants to be treated like a Queen for a day, even if they won’t admit it. But, let’s be real, I’ve probably got a better chance of winning the lottery than having somebody perform a grand romantic gesture like that for little, plain me. Keeping up with my usual Valentine’s tradition, I’ll most probably be spending my Valentine’s day treating my number 1 bae (that’s myself, in case you were wondering) to a cozy night in. Read on if you want to find out about a) my cynical look at love and b) how to treat yo’self this Valentine’s Day.
Romantic gestures are something that I’ve never really experienced. I’ve never been taken out for a meal. I’ve never been surprised with a romantic break for two. I’ve never even really been taken out on a date of any kind. I’ve never received flowers – unless you count that one time my ex bought me some supermarket lilies after he cheated on me…romantic, right? Personally, I don’t count that. I’ve never been lucky enough to experience the romantic gestures that people nowadays refer to as being #goals. Okay, that’s kind of not true. My first long-term boyfriend used to write me love letters, which sounds like it could totally be #couplegoals, if not a little bit #vom and #corny. But, that ex-boyfriend also cheated on me with numerous girls….that’s not so Goals now, is it?
I think it’s safe to say that I’m pretty unlucky in love. Love is fleeting and usually ends in tears; my tears. As a result, I keep my heart guarded. If I do like someone, I probably won’t tell them. No matter how obvious it may be. This year, I’ll most likely be keeping up my record of having 0 Valentine’s. Instead, I’ll spend my day looking after me, myself and I. I’m going to make sure I have the ultimate pamper day for one at home.
How to have the perfect Valentine’s for one:
1. Breakfast done right – This Valentine’s Day falls on a Sunday. So if there was ever a perfect day to treat yourself to an extravagant breakfast in bed, it’s this day. Get up, make yourself a giant stack of pancakes and then take those bad boys back to bed. Treat yourself to a breakfast-in-bed feast that’s so decadent you feel like Queen Lizzie herself. The best part is you won’t have to worry about anyone trying to steal your last pancake or hogging the duvet.
2. Date yourself – During the day, go out. Take yourself for a coffee date. Take yourself shopping. Do something fun. You don’t need a man in order to go out and enjoy yourself. Buy yourself gifts. Nobody knows better than you what you like. You can buy yourself the best kind of gifts. Sometimes, there’s nothing I love more than my own company. Sometimes, a self-indulgent day out treating yourself is just what you need. Do it. It’ll feel good, I promise.
3. Soak in a Lush bath – In the evening, it’s time to pamper yourself. Rifle through that stash of Lush bath bombs, throw all of your favourite ones in the bath at once and enjoy a long, hot, soak whilst you contemplate life and sing along to the Bridget Jones soundtrack. Because, what else could you possibly want to do when you’re alone on Valentine’s? Okay, maybe don’t listen to the Bridget Jones soundtrack. But do put on some of your favourite music, unwind and truly rest your body and mind.
5. Pamper yo’self – Once you’ve destressed with a long, hot soak in the bath it’s time to light those candles, re-paint your scruffy nails and relax with a movie. Lather up in a sweet-smelling moisturiser, apply a face mask, put on your fluffiest pjs. Just get cozy and pamper yourself. Baylis and Harding* sent me a super sweet set which included this divine smelling body lotion. It’s so floral and delicate, it’s perfect for Valentine’s. Because who needs flowers from a fuckboy when you can smell like flowers instead?
6. Netflix and chill – You’re fully pampered and it’s time to snuggle up for a bit of netflix and chill for one. Now, you don’t need to worry about someone else talking over the film, stealing your popcorn or picking a film you hate. You’re in full control. Put your favourite film on. Laugh at a comedy, cry at a chick-flick, get involved in an action film. Whatever film takes your fancy, just switch off your brain and enjoy a night in watching movies, by yourself.
If you managed to get this far despite my cynical view on love, well done and thank you! If you’re spending your Valentine’s Day alone, remember to show yourself some love. Or if a night in on your own isn’t your cup of tea, get the girls together and celebrate Galentine’s Day instead. How are you spending your Valentine’s Day?